Monday 27 September 2010

Last Day Before Classes/Thoughts on the English Language

It's my last day of freedom!  I actually thought that class started today, but one of my classes was moved from Monday to Tuesday at the last minute.  This means that I showed up at my classroom at 10:00 and was told by some other professor that there had been a class switch.  I was mad for a little while until I realized that I now have Fridays AND Mondays off.  This is a terrific turn of events.  Meanwhile, tomorrow won't be the most fun since I now have two classes on Tuesday, but I think it's worth it in the long run.  Tonight, I am going to see The Phantom of the Opera for the 2nd time (1st time in Atlanta); I'm very excited!  Enjoy Sarah Brightman doing what she does best.



Additionally, I wanted to use this post to discuss the state of the English language in London.  I came to London to have an authentic English experience, but I don't think that it's lived up to my expectations.  Every morning when I walk out the door, I'll hear at least two and sometimes three different languages before I even hear any English.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not immigrant bashing; it's just that I thought that in the capital city of the nation that originated the English language, I might here some English every now and then.  I honestly don't think I've ever heard so many languages spoken in one place before.  London is a multicultural city; if I want the English experience I've come for, I'm going to have to travel. Luckily for me, I have Fridays and Mondays off.  I'm thinking of kicking things off with a trip to Brighton this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment